View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryena
Officer

re: Pillars of Eternity - Kind of like Baldur's Gate

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian (Fallout: NV, KOTOR 2, NWN2: MOTB) comes out today.  It is supposed to be an "Infinity engine successor" game, so like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale etc.  It was the first really successful game of its type on Kickstarter, which inspired other companies to try crowdfunding for their rpgs. 

Races:

AumauaDWARFElfGodlikeHumanOrlan

Classes:

BarbarianChanterCipherDruidFighterMonkPaladinPriestRangerRogueWizard

I am inclined to go with a Priest or Paladin just for the roleplaying opportunities (see Paladin Orders below).  Though the bard-like Chanters look pretty interesting, too.  For race I'm leaning towards Orlan, the weird-looking, semi-evil gnomes.

From the Pillars of Eternity Wiki:

Paladin Order

The power of the Faith and Conviction ability can be modified by their behavior and the reputations they develop from the choices they make. When players make a paladin, they select an order. Each choice highlights two types of behavior that are celebrated and two types of behavior that are condemned. For paladins played as the main character, their Faith and Conviction power will shift based on their behavior. Reinforcing their order's preferred behavior will gradually increase their power, while playing against type will cause a small diminishment in their power. These changes are not dramatic, but reflect a measure of dissonance between the character's stated order and how they choose to conduct themselves. [2] Known paladin order options:

Order Celebrated behaviour Condemned behaviour
1st disposition 2nd disposition 1st disposition 2nd disposition
The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga Diplomatic Honest Aggressive Cruel
Bleak Walkers Aggressive Cruel[3] Diplomatic Benevolent
Kind Wayfarers Benevolent Passionate Deceptive Cruel
Goldpact Knights[4] Rational Stoic Passionate Aggressive
Darcozzi Paladini Clever Passionate Cruel Stoic

And a Priest's Deity is similar:

Deity Celebrated behaviour Condemned behaviour
1st disposition 2nd disposition 1st disposition 2nd disposition
Eothas Honest Benevolent Cruel Deceptive
Magran Aggressive Clever Passionate Diplomatic
Berath Stoic Rational Cruel Passionate
Wael Deceptive Clever Rational Honest
Skaen Cruel Deceptive Aggressive Benevolent

Keep in mind that although characters are 3D, it is a zoomed-out isometric perspective game that really does remind me of Baldur's Gate visually, but more modern and with the ability to zoom further in.

You can check out the game on Steam or GOG.  Will let you know my impressions once I have a chance to play!

IlservianPalacost

How much like Baldur's Gate is it? Unfortunately, I get annoyed a few hours into it every time I try to start up a new game and quit.

I don't know; I'm not the best one to tell you since while I did play it for many hours I never finished it, and I only tried it for the first time within the past couple years.  What annoys you about BG?  Difficulty, clunkiness, graphics?  I find PoE to be a smoother experience, and this is compared to the version of BG1 in the improved BG2 engine (via mods or the Enhanced Edition).  The isometric perspective, area exploration, and combat are all similar, but feel better to me.  It makes a big difference to me that you can zoom further in to see the characters and what's going on in combat.  Not that you *need* that, but it engages me more.  The UI is excellent and doesn't feel clunky.  And there are new classes that play a bit differently from the classic DnD ones, such as the chanter or cipher.

IlservianPalacost

It wasn't the isometric camera or anything, I've played games before like that, and I liked the story and characters in BG but I think it was more the clunkiness and having to micromanage a ridiculous amount. And the having to rest to replenish my one healing skill got old as hell. That probably changed later with higher levels but it just all got too tedious.

So I went ahead and bought it and damn, I'm liking it a lot more than I did Baldur's Gate, maybe it was simply the aged graphics of BG or something I don't know. Created a Human Paladin as my main, Goldpact Knights. Just hired a Barbarian to roll with me at the first Inn. Thinking about going with my Paladin, Barbarian, Cipher, Druid, Priest, and maybe a Monk or a Fighter as my group. Apparently the Ciphers are better than the Wizards because they don't need to rest to replenish their spells. Anyway, game is fun and immersive as hell.

IlservianPalacost wrote:

Apparently the Ciphers are better than the Wizards because they don't need to rest to replenish their spells. Anyway, game is fun and immersive as hell.

That's what I was going to tell you about Ciphers!  I ended up making a Cipher since I felt like it fit my orlan, and it is really nice not to have to rest all the time.  If you don't mind mild spoilers, you can see a list of companions and their classes and where to get them on the wiki: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion#Companions  The wizard, fighter, priest, and chanter show up pretty early (in that order).  Here's a list of some of the more useful abilities for a few different classes: http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30sdhh/tip_oftoverlooked_gamechanger_abilities/

Edit: Patch has come out, double click equip bug and other stat bugs have been fixed.

Last edited by Daryena on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
IlservianPalacost

I normally drag to equip in these types of game anyway so I think I'm ok. Is there any negative to just creating your own party members? That's what I did for my Barbarian.

Nah not really any negative, other than missing out on some companion dialog.  I am not far enough along to tell you how important that is, but I would make room for a few of them.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn Eternal Forum Index -> Friends of DE All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None