Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn Eternal Forum Index -> Roleplaying and Creative Endeavors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlservianPalacost

re: Shattered Chains

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
- The Sith Code

I – Nuisance
My teeth grinded together as I focused on the large metallic cylinder I had just ripped free of the far wall and was now gently levitating mere inches from my outstretched right hand. Sweat dripped down my face and onto my bare chest as the muscles in my body tensed and knotted under the pressure. Dark hair clung to my face and neck as I gazed through it at the second object I had been suspending above my head for the past hour; a giant shipping crate which still contained its load. The tight quarters of the training room seemed to close in around me as my mind flashed and burned as if a raging fire now threatened to burst forth from within my head, I took a quick, ragged breath and closed my eyes as I concentrated every ounce of my will and bent the Force to it. Slowly, the two objects came to rest on top of each other in front of me, still hovering roughly three feet off the floor.

I felt something then, a jolt at the back of my mind, a presence, someone was approaching. I opened my eyes slowly, still concentrating on the two objects that gently hovered in front of my tensed form. The door slid open behind me and I found myself involuntarily gritting my teeth in frustration. “You’re interrupting my training, Sevren.”

“Apologies, Ilservian. It is late however; I checked your chambers already, assuming you would be sleeping.” His smug tone made a muscle twitch in the side of my neck.

“Why’s that? Hoping to kill me while I doze?” My concentration was still on the heavy objects that I was now in the process of separating and moving as far from each other as I could while still maintaining steady control over them.

“You think me such a…dishonorable…man.” I sensed him take two steps within the room then stop. I cursed myself silently as the objects faltered slightly in my grasp; he must have noticed my lightsaber discarded on top of my robe on the floor. I recovered control of the objects and gently set the shipping crate down while transferring my attention fully to the cylinder.

“If you think my weapon out of reach over there then you are more of a fool than I previously thought.” I smiled, my command of the Force was considerable but my skill with a lightsaber was something that Sevren could not hope to match. I silently hoped that he would seize the opportunity and try to cut me down so that I could be rid of his unworthy presence once and for all.

“Yet here I am with my own so much closer. I wonder, are you quick enough to turn and face me then draw your saber to you all before I impale you where you stand? But worry not, I merely bring a message from Master Thaddus; he requires our presence on the bridge.”

The tone of Sevren’s very voice seemed to grate on my nerves as I brought the full weight of the cylinder to rest in my right hand and slowly lowered my left hand to my side. “I will do as the Master bids. And to set your wondering at ease, Sevren, I am beyond quick enough.”

It happened quickly; I smelt the burnt smell of ozone and heard the loud static as Sevren’s lightsaber was drawn. I had anticipated the coward’s action and had already begun channeling my own weapon to my left hand that now hung at my side, as I did so I turned and pushed all of my will behind the cylinder, propelling it like a rocket at Sevren’s thin frame. Sevren’s lightsaber screamed through the cylinder as it split apart around him and he rushed forward at me. I felt the cold, familiar touch as I snatched my own lightsaber from the air and activated it just in time to deflect the first feeble blow. “Even with a coward’s chance at killing me you fail. I will take your lightsaber as my trophy, Sevren!” Rage poured over me as my muscles tensed and I threw Sevren’s saber upwards with my own and went on the offensive, charging the frail fool with all the might my body possessed. Sevren’s eyes were wide as he tried to deflect my unrelenting assault in vain and I smiled as realization of my superiority struck him; my saber found his right thigh and dropped him to his knee as I brought my own knee up hard into his smug jaw.

Sevren’s lightsaber fell from his grasp as the impact of my knee colliding with his jaw sent his head bouncing off the metallic wall of the training room with a satisfying thud. I looked down on him as he lay in a pathetic heap, a smirk spread across my lips then as I noticed the stream of blood escaping from his mouth accompanied by several broken teeth. I grabbed Sevren by his skinny neck with my left hand and slammed him up against the wall; I studied his expression as he looked back and forth between me and his fallen lightsaber. “Ilservian, wait! You have beaten me! Release me and I will admit to the Master that you are the superior apprentice.”

“Release you only to have you stab me in the back while I sleep, Sevren? I have had to endure your weakness and dishonor for far too long at Master Thaddus’ bidding. No longer!” As I released Sevren’s throat I sensed him draw his lightsaber to his outstretched hand, however it was not fast enough and I quickly brought my own lightsaber across in a wide arc, separating Sevren’s head from his body. The anger drained from me as I replaced my lightsaber on my belt and recovered my robe from where it lay. Putting my robe back on I breathed in deep and felt the Force pulse through me, then I turned and collected Sevren’s lightsaber from where it had fallen next to his severed head, face twisted in an eternal moment of fear. The door to the training room slid open and I entered the hallway, my head clear and thoughts focused on what Master Thaddus would request of me.

((To be continued...))
IlservianPalacost

re: Part 2 - Test

"I am now an instrument of violence
I am a vessel of invincibility
I cannot leave this undecided
Stepping down to battle another day
Remember me for all time this
Determination is a vital part of me
Surrender now or be counted
With the endless masses that I will defeat"
- "Warrior" Disturbed

II - Test

Master Thaddus was gazing out the massive view window of the Panumbris when I approached him on the bridge. I knew that even though he showed no intent of moving, he was aware of my presence. I kneeled several paces from him. "Your bidding, Master?"

Master Thaddus was an elderly human of slight build and graying hair, yet there was something about his presence that demanded respect and emanated strength. He chuckled without turning to face me, "Rise, Ilservian. It seems I have lost an apprentice this night. I knew you would slay Sevren eventually, I had just not anticipated it being so soon."

I rose and watched the tall, hooded form of my Master as he crossed his arms and turned to face me. I fell in stride beside him as he walked past me towards a control panel on the far side of the bridge, "Sevren was weak and without honor. He was unworthy to be taught by you, Master."

Master Thaddus stopped at the console and entered a few commands, bringing up the image of a planet on the screen. "Agreed, Sevren was a fool. As for you however; I sense greatness in you, Ilservian. Never has an apprentice of mine mastered the lightsaber as quickly as you. Your strength, both of body and mind, are staggering and I am proud to call you my apprentice. That is why I have summoned you here." Thaddus turned to face me, gesturing towards the unfamiliar planet now rotating slowly on the screen of the console, "Do you recognize this planet? It is the planet of Voss. There are few settlements or places of interest to speak of on it, and the natives are primitive though they are inherently strong in the Force. It is for this reason that I believe Uweden has chosen this planet as his refuge during his exile."

I rose an eyebrow upon hearing the name, "And just who is this Uweden?"

Master Thaddus turned again and began walking back towards the viewing deck, I followed close behind. "Uweden Kormar, exiled Jedi Knight. He went against the Council on several of his assignments and was accused of using the dark side on more than one occasion. He shall be your final test. I want you to kill him."

I was confused, "Master, what could be gained from killing a Jedi who is already exiled from the Order?"

Thaddus stopped again on the viewing deck, facing out into the vastness that surrounded us. "I care not about Uweden Kormar, Ilservian. What I do care about, however, is the fact that he was well known as a master duelist and particularly strong in the Force. He will be your greatest test yet. I want to see what you're capable of against a Jedi Knight of his caliber." He gestured dismissively, "Now go, we will be arriving at Voss soon enough, be ready at the shuttle."

The surface of Voss was a humid, sticky mess of jungle; I could not wait to find this Uweden simply to be free of this planet. I was not even out of sight of my shuttle when I sensed something in the dense surroundings; I was being watched. But was it Uweden? No, something else. I continued on, my senses sharp and constantly scanning my perimeter. Intelligence placed Uweden within a very small grid of my landing, I looked forward to seeing if a true Jedi could stand against me.

As night fell on Voss I sensed more and more signs of life surrounding me. I would need to meditate to ascertain Uweden's whereabouts anyway, may as well put out the invitation for these natives to leave the safety of the underbrush. I stopped in a small clearing and kneeled, my thoughts reaching out to the surrounding woods, searching for the exiled Jedi that would bring me my most glorious battle yet. Sweat dripped down my face beneath the deep hood of my robe, not from the wretched environment that I now found myself in, but from the concentration of using the Force to hunt my query. There! Deeper in the jungle I sensed a loan source of great power, greater than the inhabitants that were now slowly making their way out from the underbrush and towards my current position. I must look so...helpless...to them in my current state. I couldn't help smirking slightly as my thoughts returned to my immediate surroundings and I patiently waited, hand resting on the hilt of my lightsaber.

They moved faster the closer they got to me, then the first one lunged and I responded. My lightsaber tore the first one in half before I could even register what the beasts were; they had dark blue skin and were humanoid in shape, standing shorter than myself but taller than the average human, they carried primitive vibroblades and wore makeshift battle armor. I whirled in a circle and drove my saber through the second one's torso, ripping it free I beheaded another as it feebly swung it's vibroblade towards my face. I flourished my saber, stepping over the two corpses and towards the remaining group of three; they backed up with each step I took, looking for an opportunity to strike. "Is this all you've got!? Come on!" I yelled at them as I lunged, anger rushing over me at their unwillingness to engage me. Cowards; I cut them down like dogs as they tried in vain to flee my wrath. Weaving my way between the corpses, I made my way through the dark forest towards the power I had sensed earlier.

I entered a clearing with a small cottage situated on the far side. Half way between myself and the cottage was a single figure clad in a black robe kneeling, his head hung in a state of meditation. My mind grew foggy as I approached the figure; no matter how hard I focused, my mind would not clear entirely. I staggered slightly as I came within paces of what I could only assume was Uweden Kormar. "What's wrong, Sith? Having trouble seeing clearly? Mind not quite right?" The deep voice mocked me as I gritted my teeth and focused my gaze on Uweden's hooded visage.

"Rise, Uweden! Face me, lest I cut you down where you kneel!" I could feel the blood rage simmering in my veins as anticipation for the battle grew. I closed my grip around the hilt of my lightsaber and ripped it free with authority, pointing it at the exiled Jedi. "You shall not deny me the glory of this fight!" With my free hand I reached out and surrounded Uweden with the Force, pulling him upright onto his feet.

Uweden grinned from beneath his hood, "You are strong in the Force. Such a waste serving one such as Thaddus..." He drew his lightsaber and crossed it with my own.

How did this man know Thaddus had sent me? What did it matter, I would have my glory regardless. I growled as I attacked. Uweden parried my first flurry of strikes, giving up ground as he did so. I struck out at his lead leg as he jumped my saber, at that same moment I felt a great force shove me backwards several feet onto my back. I recovered quickly, rolling out of the way of Uweden's lightsaber as it thrust into the ground where I had just been laying. I spun a hard kick into his leg, sending him sprawling to the ground. I followed up immediately with a savage charge, swinging my lightsaber with all the rage in my body. Uweden's body shook as he blocked my attacks; I could tell I was wearing him down with the strength of my strikes. Strike after strike I swung, using the Force to propel my muscles with greater intensity. My eyes widened as I stared on at Uweden's form beneath each of my attacks, focus driving me to break the Jedi. I felt a burning pain in my left leg as I was again shoved back several feet. How did his attack get through!? Hate pounded in my head as I saw Uweden jump towards me, intent on impaling me with his lightsaber. I yelled in pure, unrestrained rage as I projected the Force outward from my left hand and sent the Jedi flying backwards and through the wall of the small cabin. I rose and stalked forward towards where the Jedi now lay, surrounded by splintered wood and debris. "How do you know of Master Thaddus!?" I growled as I stopped a few paces from the fallen Jedi.

Uweden sighed in pain, "We have had our run ins before. It is no longer important. Know that you will find a dagger in your back one day and Thaddus will be the one that puts it there."

"Liar! Master Thaddus is an honorable Sith! Respect your betters, exile!" Hate poured over and through me as I looked down on this exiled, fool Jedi that now wore a grin upon his features.

"Hahaha! Foolish young Sith...When will you open your eyes to the nature of the dark side? It seems you still have much to learn." The final chuckle out of the smug bastard's mouth made it seem as if I was viewing the world through a scarlet visor; hate coursed in my veins, my mind pulsed destruction with each beat of my heart and every ounce of me wanted to burn this very planet to dust. I reached out, my teeth grating together, I willed Uweden's pitiful form up from where he lay and suspended him several feet above the ground. The Force flowed through me and I tightened my grip as Uweden feebly clutched at his neck, the sounds of a man gurgling out his last breaths escaping his slobbering maw. I tightened my Force grip to the point of my mind practically dropping me to my knees from the intense pressure; I was rewarded with the dull crunching and popping of the exile's windpipe crushing within my grasp. I released my grip on Uweden Kormar and watched as his lifeless body fell to the ground, contorted upon the rubble of the shattered cottage wall. As I turned to leave I pulled the Jedi's fallen lightsaber to my open hand.

Stepping out into the night draped clearing I could feel the presence of the Force. Uweden had chosen this spot for a reason; the Force was strong here and seemed to flow between the trees and across the clearing like the very wind itself. I kneeled down in the same spot I had first seen Uweden and decided it best to meditate on my victory for a time before returning to the Panumbris and reporting my success to Master Thaddus.

((To be continued...))

Last edited by IlservianPalacost on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ils, I was really impressed by your description here, especially the force attacks and the "scarlet visor." A couple of my favorite lines were:

"With my free hand I reached out and surrounded Uweden with the Force, pulling him upright onto his feet."

and

"I yelled in pure, unrestrained rage as I projected the Force outward from my left hand and sent the Jedi flying backwards and through the wall..."

These create perfect visuals, but in addition they let us see what the force is doing. In your scene I imagine the force as something like an invisible hand, whereas in the movies I am simply watching a man dangle in thin air.

As for the story, I really like that Ilservian is honorable even though he's a sith. This is good for two reasons: 1) It allows me to empathize with him better. I want to like him since he's the main character. and 2) It makes him more interesting and complicated.

A thought for your next chapters... If your story ends with him going completely dark side (even moreso than he is now), I hope that I will understand how he got there. (Of course I hope that he sees the light side instead, but that's because I'm biased.) I can tell that Ilservian's character will probably change as he learns more about his master, and I want any changes in him to be a really big deal. You're already on the right track for that if that's what you decide to do.

As always, great job!
IlservianPalacost

Daryena wrote:

A thought for your next chapters... If your story ends with him going completely dark side (even moreso than he is now), I hope that I will understand how he got there. (Of course I hope that he sees the light side instead, but that's because I'm biased.) I can tell that Ilservian's character will probably change as he learns more about his master, and I want any changes in him to be a really big deal. You're already on the right track for that if that's what you decide to do.

It's like...you're in my head. . Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I have a pretty good idea of where this particular story is going to end (as I meant it as a sort of background on my Sith Warrior up until where SWTOR would pick up). It's hard for me to describe Ilservian as dark or light because I just see him as having his own "nature" (honorable, values strength, looks down on weakness) that is more gray than anything.

I also really enjoyed writing this story in first person (first attempt), it lets you express what the character is feeling much easier in my opinion.

Very good read.

I always had trouble with the first person narrative in school, I think its the history major in me I always want to report on the action from outside. Kudos to you on style usage.

I see you too went to Voss. There is just something about that region of space, can't wait to get there in game.

re: Part 3 - Genesis

"I've become indestructible
Determination that is incorruptible
From the other side a terror to behold
Annihilation will be unavoidable
Every broken enemy will know
That their opponent had to be invincible
Take a last look around while you're alive
I'm an indestructible
Master of war."
- "Indestructible" Disturbed

III - Genesis

Anxiousness washed over me as I strode confidently through the hallways of the Panumbris towards the bridge. Once I informed Master Thaddus of my victory on Voss he would surely deem me ready for the trials on Korriban. It would not be long before I was recognized as a full Sith.

As I entered the bridge and made my way towards the observation deck Master Thaddus turned to face me. "I have done what you asked, Master. Uweden Kormar lies dead upon the surface of Voss." I kneeled as I spoke.

"So you have...so you have. Rise, Ilservian." I detected a strange hint of astonishment in Master Thaddus' voice as he spoke. I rose to my feet and Master Thaddus slowly turned back towards the observation window, his mind clearly wandering. "You possess strength that I have not felt in many years, my apprentice. You shall make a powerful Sith Lord one day."

"I am ready for the trials, Master." I stated confidently.

"Are you? You have not been to Korriban, do not know the horrors that await you there. Uweden was a great warrior, but I fear his connection to the Force has waned over the years of his exile."

Frustration struck me at this last statement. "That exile was not one to be taken lightly; I hardly walked away unscathed." Pain renewed in the saber cut on my leg as I spoke this. "Uweden Kormar was a powerful Jedi, and I killed him! I am ready for whatever Korriban unleashes upon me, I shall face down any obstacle standing in my way of becoming Sith and destroy it!"

Master Thaddus paused and seemed to be thinking on what I had just said. Then he turned and faced me, eyes stern beneath the deep hood of his robe. "You shall face the trials then. Go, attend to your wounds and rest. The Panumbris shall set a course for Korriban and you shall know the nature of the dark side."

I bowed and turned on my heel, still annoyed at Master Thaddus' doubts about my skills. I am the most powerful apprentice he had ever taught; I mastered the lightsaber well before I was expected to even handle a true one, yet he hesitates to send me to Korriban for the trials. I made my way to my quarters and changed my robes then I applied kolto to my wounds and laid down to rest.

"...When will you open your eyes to the nature of the dark side? It seems you still have much to learn." The ghostly sound of Uweden Kormar's voice seemed far away as I viewed his darkened form in front of me, shrouded in the shadows and fog that now surrounded both of us. I tried to move forward but Uweden's still form stayed the same amount of distance from me no matter how fast I ran towards it. I frantically looked around at my surroundings and it was as if a vast plain of darkness and twisting shadow had intruded upon my very existence, nothing else could be seen. I tried to yell at the exile Jedi but I could make no sound. "...Know that you will find a dagger in your back one day and Thaddus will be the one that puts it there." The same ghostly voice of the exile floated to me in the twisting nether as the form of Uweden Kormar slowly diminished and mixed in with the fog that hung about the plain.

I sat up in bed with a start, breathing hard as I left the dream world behind and focused on my own dark quarters. Something was not right in here. Before I could rise to investigate I heard the unsheathing of a blade and struck out with the Force, sending everything within the small room flying in all directions. I leapt upright and hit the lights as I drew my lightsaber. Slumped against the wall opposite me was a large, hooded figure who quickly rose to his feet, a short blade grasped in one hand. "Who are you!?" I growled, my lightsaber gripped tightly in my right hand ready to strike.

The foolish oaf yelled as he jumped at me with surprising agility, looking to drive the blade into my chest. I evaded the blow easily and whipped my saber downward, severing the man's hand just above the wrist. The hand, still clasping the short blade, bounced across the floor to where it rested beside an upturned table. The man started to scream in pain as he grabbed at his wrist with his intact hand, but I had already clasped him by the throat with the Force and had him pinned against the wall so only a slight gurgle came out. I walked forward slowly, left hand outstretched towards him, right hand holding my saber at my side.

"Now you shall tell me...who sent you?" Though rage pulsed within my veins at this cowardly act, I remained cold and calculating as I sought to uncover my would be assassin's identity.

The oaf attempted to speak so I released my grip on his throat and watched him slump to the floor. "Ma...Master Thaddus promised me a ...spot at his side should I kill you." The large man spit out between ragged breaths.

Thaddus!? My free hand clenched into a fist and I struck the man's jaw with a growl. "If you are lying to me, I shall cut you apart piece by piece with that primitive blade you attempted to slay me with! You are no Sith, why would Master Thaddus promise such a thing!?" Anger began to cloud my vision and thoughts as I looked on at the pathetic scene in front of me.

The man whimpered. "He would not say. Only said that he required a new apprentice. I am destined to be a Sith! This was supposed to be my opportunity!"

I gritted my teeth at the weakness of this man's words. "You are deserving only of a coward's death!" I replaced my lightsaber on my belt and began to walk towards the door. Without so much as a glance back over my shoulder I willed the fool's severed hand, still clutching the blade, upwards and sent it rocketing towards his face. As I stepped into the hallway I heard the sound of what must have been the blade burying itself in the assassin's forehead. I smirked ever so slightly.

Seething, I marched with authority towards the bridge of the Panumbris. This act of cowardice by Master Thaddus would be addressed in my own way, face to face and with lightsabers drawn.

What little crew members remained on the bridge quickly began filtering out as I entered. I strode forward and paused several paces from where Thaddus stood, his gaze fixed out the massive viewing window and back turned towards me. "Next time you wish me dead, I suggest you send someone more capable or find the courage to face me yourself...Master." I spoke through clenched teeth as I paced back and forth, eyes locked on the hooded form of Master Thaddus.

Thaddus did not turn to face me. "It would be wise to remember your place, my apprentice. It seems the new acolyte was unable to complete his first task, that's unfortunate."

I laughed at this; Thaddus had clearly grown fearful of my power following my return from Voss. "Acolyte!? You thought that fool worthy of becoming Sith!? He is lying in a pool of his own blood right now with the very weapon he was meant to kill me with drove into his forehead! I thought you smarter than this, Thaddus!" I stopped pacing and drew my lightsaber. "And I certainly thought you more honorable!"

Thaddus still did not turn. "If the acolyte had succeeded in killing you then that would clearly mark you as unworthy of becoming Sith, Ilservian. As I predicted though, you survived. I knew in the end, however, that it would come down to this. It is the oldest of Sith traditions." Thaddus finally turned to face me, his face was stern beneath his deep hood. The Sith Lord advanced forward until he was within only a few paces of me. "I'm sorry, my friend, but you will not see Korriban." Thaddus drew his saber and brought it up in front of him.

I crossed my own saber with his in the traditional dueling fashion, the crimson of my blade crackled against the deep violet of Thaddus'. I struck first and I struck hard, pushing aside Thaddus' saber and striking out at his neck; but I underestimated the agility of the old Sith Lord. Thaddus ducked my strike easily and shoved me backwards with a powerful Force push. I rose quickly only to go on the defensive as Thaddus pounced with a flurry of agile, precision strikes. Flowing seamlessly into the defensive Soresu style I parried blow after blow, giving up ground as I did so. During a lull in Thaddus' offensive I seized my opportunity and struck out with my saber, then with my left hand I pulled a distant desk towards Thaddus' flank. As the Sith Lord spun and sliced the object in half I used the Force to propel myself forward, delivering a vicious front kick to my opponent's chest.

As Thaddus collided with the far wall I used the opportunity to focus the Force into my own body, enhancing my strength and reflexes as I flourished my lightsaber and transitioned into the aggressive Shien form of combat. The blood rage of one on one combat was flowing freely through my veins now and I allowed a smile as I gritted my teeth and watched my Master rise to his feet. "Come on, Thaddus! Show me what a true Sith Lord is capable of!"

Thaddus stalked forward, his saber held at his side in his left hand. "Your arrogance will be your downfall, Ilservian. I shall show you the true power a Sith is capable of!" Thaddus raised his right hand towards me and all I knew in that moment was pain, searing and unrelenting. I dropped to my knees as the Force lightning tore through my body; my attempts at deflecting the attack with my lightsaber were in vain. My saber slipped from my grasp as I collapsed down to my hands and knees, the pain grew so intense that it threatened to tear my mind apart. Frustration finally overcame the pain, rage pushed out the torment from my mind and I focused. With one great effort I slammed my fist into the ground, sending a shock wave of Force energy rippling outward from me in all directions. The pain disappeared as Thaddus was slammed against a computer terminal, his concentration shattered as thoroughly as the terminal itself.

Nearly all the terminals on the bridge had been destroyed in the shock wave; static buzzed in the air as smoke wafted from several different areas. I rose to my feet with much effort and pulled my saber to my hand from where it had fallen. I focused and channeled the Force once again into my body. Stalking forward, I winced as the pain reminded me how much Thaddus' attack had taken out of me. Thaddus rose quickly from where he had fallen and wasted no time, attacking again with concentrated precision. This time I was ready however; fighting in the aggressive Shien style, I threw aside Thaddus' saber attacks and drove him backwards with each counterattack. Up the catwalk we dueled and onto the viewing platform we moved.

Thaddus' precision strikes found their mark as I felt a hot, stabbing pain in my abdomen. I would not fall to this man! I was stronger and he knew it! I bent the Force to my will and forced my body onwards; my left hand shot out and Thaddus was sent spiraling upwards as I transitioned into the dominating form of Djem So. My saber came down in a wide arc, then down again as Thaddus tried with all his might to fend off the powerful attacks, the Force propelling my body with greater intensity each strike. Thaddus was relenting under my assault, I could tell the end was near and it only drove me to press him harder. Again and again I brought my saber down until I was rewarded with the hiss of Thaddus' lightsaber hilt being destroyed and his saber arm being severed from his body. Before I could deliver the final blow, however, I felt my body lifted upright and suspended several feet above the ground, my limbs immobilized by Thaddus' control of the Force.

Thaddus rose feebly to his feet, his remaining hand keeping me immobilized. "If there is but one final thing you learn from me, Ilservian, let it be that every great Sith always has a backup plan!" Thaddus turned his attention towards the Panumbris' main control console, it's monitor half destroyed from my earlier attack. As he pointed his hand at the direction of the console he had to release his hold on me. I wasted no time; with a single lunge I impaled Master Thaddus with my lightsaber, then pulled it free in one fluid motion. As Master Thaddus breathed his last breath the red emergency lights began to flash throughout the Panumbris' bridge. "Self destruct process initialized. Evacuate to the nearest escape pod at once." The overhead speaker revealed Master Thaddus' final act.

With the rush of battle over and the Force drained from my body my wounds began to take their toll. I pressed myself on as I stumbled to the control console and attempted to override the self destruct protocol, but of course Thaddus had thought to lock the process. I growled my frustration as I turned and made my way towards the escape pods. The more I moved the more my fatigue and weakness weighed on me. Thaddus' attack had taken more out of me than I previously thought; as I reached the hallway to the escape pods I doubled over and coughed up blood. "Bastard..." I muttered as I stumbled on.

Most of the escape pods had been deployed by the crew. There was one pod remaining when I finally pulled myself around the corner of the docking area and a technician was preparing to board it. Without so much as a second thought I pinned the man to the far bulkhead with the Force and threw my lightsaber, impaling him to to the wall several feet above the ground. At that same moment the Panumbris rocked from the first explosion in the self destruct protocol. The bulkhead ripped apart right where the technician now hung, sucking him and my lightsaber into the void. I cursed my luck as I channeled all the Force I was capable of to keep myself grounded long enough to board the escape pod.

The escape pod launched mere seconds before another series of explosions ripped apart the Panumbris. I gazed out the view window as my breathing came ragged and labored. I saw Korriban. Thaddus had set a course for Korriban after all. I slumped back against the wall and attempted to pull myself together. Taking up a kneeling position I focused all my will and drew in the Force to attempt and undo whatever damage Thaddus had done to me. Soon I would walk the surface of Korriban, soon I would have the power I sought, soon I would be a Sith.

((End))

Amazing details! I loved reading all of these and look forward to the next one!!

Dary knows, I loved lightning attack on my Sith sooooo much, haha. =)
Daryena
Officer

Sorry it took me a little while to get around to responding, but Wow!!! Great job. I hope you don't mind if I quote some of my favorite parts.

One of the things that seems to be difficult about writing Star Wars is hitting all the familiar themes that make it feel “Star Warsy,” while still telling your own story. I think you’ve done that well here. One element of this is the dialog – you've done amazingly well weaving the classic lines in there.
Quote:
"You shall face the trials then. Go, attend to your wounds and rest. The Panumbris shall set a course for Korriban and you shall know the nature of the dark side."

I like that, in the end, we find out that Master Thaddus was true to his word, in some way.
Quote:
The escape pod launched mere seconds before another series of explosions ripped apart the Panumbris. I gazed out the view window as my breathing came ragged and labored. I saw Korriban. Thaddus had set a course for Korriban after all.

It seems fated that Ilservian should go there. Even though Thaddus was a bad mentor and ended up betraying Ilservian, he was still responsible for Ilservian ending up on Korriban, where the apprentice will continue his destiny. Our teachers can shape the course of our lives even if they are bad ones. And though Ilservian killed Uweden, Uweden ended up guiding him as well.
Quote:
"...When will you open your eyes to the nature of the dark side? It seems you still have much to learn." The ghostly sound of Uweden Kormar's voice seemed far away as I viewed his darkened form in front of me, shrouded in the shadows and fog that now surrounded both of us.

Did Ilservian really just kill the would-be apprentice with the blade that had his severed hand, still attached? Damn, cruel! Nice touch.
Quote:
I willed the fool's severed hand, still clutching the blade, upwards and sent it rocketing towards his face. As I stepped into the hallway I heard the sound of what must have been the blade burying itself in the assassin's forehead. I smirked ever so slightly.

Your entire fight scene is very well done and reminds me of the movies:
Quote:
I crossed my own saber with his in the traditional dueling fashion, the crimson of my blade crackled against the deep violet of Thaddus'. I struck first and I struck hard, pushing aside Thaddus' saber and striking out at his neck; but I underestimated the agility of the old Sith Lord.

I would like to think that there might be a sequel someday, and that perhaps Thaddus had secrets that have yet to be uncovered... Again, nice piece of work.
IlservianPalacost

Thanks for reading Cal and Dary, glad you liked it. I tried to keep that Star Wars feel as you were describing Dary, while still making it feel unique in a way, I'm happy with how it turned out. I think next I may write a short story on Dule, probably filled more with boozing and underworld antics than the dark side and corrupt Sith Lords though.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None